View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow

My friend is a 951 (944 turbo) fanatic. Hes had about 5 or 6 titles to 951s in the past 2 years. They are really not that expensive, and things are not that hard to fix. Parts are a $$$ heavy on the wallet, but thats what you get with any porsche.
not that far removed from SVX parts - just don't buy them from a Porsche dealer, mailorder for the win.

Quote:
If you were to buy a 951 for say 12K or so, put about 2K worth of some aftermarket parts, your car would be FASTER than a 928, easily. 944s were severely detuned from the factory due to traction issues, and the fact that they didn't want the "sport" model of their entry level car to be faster than either one of their flagships.
the problem is, its hard to find a 951 is good condition. before you sink the $2k in aftermarket parts in, you'll have to sink a lot more in to just get it staight. with a $650 exhaust (928's have a VERY restrictive, library quiet factory exhaust) and $300 Autothority chips, my 928 was no slouch. several supercharger kits are available for some insane power, if you want to go that route.

Quote:
And 968s are gutless. So are 924s... I really don't think either was worth the p-car badge.
the 968's are nice-looking cars, but they are gutless. the 924 was an entry-level car for Porsche. the 968 wasn't about mad power, though - it had great handling and braking.

Quote:
Its your decision, however If you can't get the 928 (my personal porsche of choice) the 951 is the next best thing.
after being a Rennlist regular for many years, i've seen many former 944/951 owners get a 928 and then post about how there is no comparison. the VW/Porsche collaborated 924-based 944's just aren't in the same league as the flagship that was the first car ever designed entirely by Porsche from the ground up. if you get to drive a well-cared for 928, you'll understand

BTW, Tigershark, my buddy is probably selling his '76 911 Targa in the spring. he had the fenders flared last year and it was repainted "Ferrari red". redid the interior, and wide Fuchs wheels. haven't seen it in a while because he moved kinda far, and i don't know how much he's looking to get for it (i'm guessing $10k- $15k ).

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)