View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
My car/My project: red '96 LSi

Thumbs up The Rebuilder in Kent, WA

Thanks, everyone, for the great information!

My alternator just died (and took my battery with it). I had been getting a dim glow from the power steering, battery, stop lamp, brake, and ABS dash warning lights when the engine was at idle, and the air bag light has been randomly blinking on and off (which may or may not be related), so I knew that it was about time to have the alternator's voltage regulator and/or rectifier diodes replaced. See, e.g., http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34652. But because the lights went out when I revved the engine, I figured that whenever I wasn't at idle the alternator was doing its job. Not so much, it turns out. Oops. Lesson learned.

Miraculously, despite the failing alternator and dying battery, my SVX took me from Seattle to Portland on Saturday and back to Seattle on Sunday without a hint of trouble—the headlights suddenly dimmed and the engine gave up the ghost only as I actually reached my destination and parked. I can't imagine I have that much good karma, so there is only one possible conclusion: this is an awesome car. Love it.

But back to the point: I don't rebuild my own alternator, because I've got a great guy who does them for a living. If you live anywhere in the greater Seattle area, I enthusiastically recommend The Rebuilder in Kent to rebuild your alternator. See http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=22102297. His shop is easy to miss if you're not looking for the sign; it's tucked in behind a building off Central Avenue South. But it's worth finding. He works quickly, he's exceptionally open and friendly on the phone and in person, and he charges very little for his work (he stands behind a one-year warranty on it). His fee for a complete rebuild of a 90 Amp SVX alternator (parts and labor) is $125. So if you need an alternator fixed and you are in the area, he's your man.

Last edited by David Cohen; 01-25-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: confirmed rebuild price