View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Registered SVX
Re: EG33 running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdtechnica View Post
I bought my 1994 SVX LE about a month ago for 500 bucks. The previous owner said it blew a headgasket, however upon further investigation (compression test looks fine, no coolant in oil and vice versa) I do not think the headgasket is bad.

First day I had it I started the car and it is stuck in limp home mode. When I unplug fuel injector #2 the way the car runs does not change. Fuel injector #2 appears to be getting power and pulsing correctly. For good parts shotgun measure, I replaced the coil pack and fuel injector. Results in no change and I have tested spark. I had a spare ECU laying around from a running SVX as well, that also did not change the way the car runs.

When I rev past 1500 rpm it with smooth out and the CEL goes away, however then it dies. Looking around other Subaru forums I decided to throw in a Walbro that I had in the shop and a new fuel filter. Both of these did not change it.

Sounds like a misfire problem, however it seems to be a ghost more than anything.

I'll post a video tomorrow
You mention a "shop". Does this mean that you are a professional mechanic?

Are you advising that it is the transmission which is in limp mode?

What makes you suspect a fuel pump or filter problem which otherwise appears to be unlikely?

Are you sure that it is firing on all cylinders when --- "past 1500 rpm it with (will) smooth out" ?

Have you checked for engine fault codes as a result the CEL illuminating ?

Having made several replacements it could be that as a result you may be in danger losing your way is respect of a logical diagnosis.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!