View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourConfused View Post
I would guess that you bought a reman compressor that is junk. I have seen many over the years that are locked strait from the box! It sounds like the clutch is engaging on the compressor, the compressor isn't wanting to rotate properly (or at all) and is then literally stopping the motor. I bet if you start the car, leave it in park, rev and hold the motor at 3.5Kish, turn on the a/c, you could get some smoke from the a/c belt as it fries itself.

(funny story: A lady pulled into the parking lot w/ smoke from under the hood. She pops the hood and flames shoot out. She starts screaming and flapping her arms. I start laughing like a little kid at the whole thing while someone else gets the extinguisher. It turns out her compressor locked up and fried the belt which caused the under hood insulation to catch on fire. I may be a little off, but I thought it was really funny.)

Second thought don't try what I sujested above...until I am there to see it.
eep! yeah.. I don't want flames under or on my hood.

I actually bought a new compressor from Subaruparts (but like John says.. new as in 12+ year old compressor just sitting on some shelf in storage. lol)

I spoke with Scott and I will be going to his place on Saturday. He also thinks its the compressor locking up but not sure how or why its shutting off my engine. I would think the belt would just smoke as you mentioned - not cause the engine to stop.

very odd.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram