Thread: Electric Turbos
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Are you talking about the electric superchargers instead of turbo chargers. Turbo chargers do not rely any other forces other then the exhaust gases therefore don't need another motor to spool them up. I don't know a whole lot about the electric superchargers but from what I've read about them they only can maintian enough power to run for a short while before the thermal protection inside the electric motor trips and turns the electric motor off. If your referring to a waste gate to relieve the built up pressure in the intake is beyond my knowledge but I don't think you would need it if you can rig the superchargers to cut on and off only when you press all the way down on the pedal. Either useing a micro switch under the pedal or somehow tap into the computer. Maybe somehow use the signal that cuts off the A/C system as a way to turn your electric superchargers on when the pedal is fully depressed. Anway from what I've read the electric motors would drain your electrical system down pretty quickly so it's not something you leave running all the time. Only for quick drag racing and stuff like that.
As far as the alternater goes you'd have to add up your amps with all your accesories on including the supercharger and compare that to the alternators output. There should be a amperage rating somewhere on the altenator. I would also recomend getting some really deep cycle batteries like Optima's. Optima's really made a difference on a vehicle I had that had a electric winch. As far as the fuel goes I think you would have to use a setup similiar to any other supercharged or turbocharged SVX. I chip that keeps the fuel injectors opened up longer, and the diferent sensors that account for the increased air, etc etc. For all I know you might be able to mount it and go but I bet it's gonna mess with your sensors. Good luck and let me know.