View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Re: SVX can't climb hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
You do have the manuals, yes?

If not, you can download them from here:

http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/

Apologies for repeating myself, but why not get access to the data at the diagnostics port? It is by far the easiest path forward.

Also, are you absolutely sure the second MAF you tried is "known to be good" - you have used it yourself or tried it on another vehicle? You may want to check MAF harness too and engine ground points, if you haven't so far. These may cause weird issues.

The engine should run rather well even the O2 sensors disconnected, you will just be "open loop" all the time and may run a bit rich and get a CEL.

I would be surprised it the EGR would cause the engine to bog down totally.

Have you checked any of your plugs for color?

Good luck,

Tapani
I would love to access the diagnostics port. Do you mean with something like Evoscan or the likes? I don't know much about these systems, but if they work on the early 90's pre-OBD2 Subies, then I'll have to pick some up just because it looks like my odd fascination with this vintage isn't going away anytime soon. Is there a "go to" bundle of cable and software to get?

That MAF has been used in at least two vehicles in the last year and was working well, so I'm still assuming it is good for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
Like I keep saying, it is fun to discuss all the possibilities but I am unsure of the usefulness of it. It is probably time to take the car somewhere to have it evaluated. I would take it to a subaru dealer. They may charge you 100, but I bet they could give you a definite answer
That may be what I end up doing, but I have held back for 2 reasons. First, I called the local parts dept. about making a key a while ago and was asked if I was sure the SVX was a Subaru, so I was a little hesitant. And secondly (and mostly), my stupid and ridiculous bullish pride gets in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
Damn.. Do we all think the same thing at the same time? Just got done looking that up in my 92 FSM. The pages you want are in the "Fuel injector " section. (2-7) My FSM shows them as page (s) 55 to 60 and 77

The OHM readings are to trace through the wiring for continuity and excessive resistance..

The volt reading ( when cranking ) should be with the multi meter set to AC volts, as far as I can tell, so an accurate reading would be more likely. Set the range to a low setting , as the signal should only come back at around 0.1 volts.

The cam and crank sensors appear to be interchangeable.

Cam and crank sensor #2 share a common ground to the ECU.

Here's a thought I had, and would someone who actually knows, please either confirm or scuttle the following.....

There's a way to get codes out of the ECU that has to do with popping off the driver's side kick panel, the one to the left of the dash. Inside there's a black connector and a couple of blue wires. Hooking up one wire (to the proper place ) and turning the ignition on is supposed to make it spit out any stored codes by flashing the power light. My thought was that a CEL may go off after a few re-starts, if the cause doesn't come back, or doesn't come back to a point that the CEL triggers again. But wouldn't the code still be stored? I know you can pull both current AND previous fault codes from the transmission... Does the ECU operate in a similar manner?

Re: Tapani's post about the EGR.

I recently had a CEL for the EGR.. cleared it and it returned, so off it came for a thorough cleaning out ( gummed up and clogged). The code never returned. If it wasn't for the CEL, I wouldn't have known that the EGR had an issue, there was no difference in the way it ran, before or after cleaning.

The same section of the manual as the crank and cam sensor (2-7) pg 65, gives the specs for the temp sensor.. If you want to "lie" to the ECU, a 400 ohm resistor, across the harness connector, would tell the ECU that the coolant temp is 176 F . I think.. That one is definitely " at your own risk.". If you want to try that one, you should probably ask someone who knows more about it than I do... which would be pretty much anybody .. Cause I HAVE been known to blow things up.. We won't even talk about what happens when you put mothballs in the gas tank..
Excellent. You got me the section to look in and Tapani got me the FSM. You guys are excellent!

And the only time I ever heard of someone putting mothballs in a gas tank was with a 1944ish Ford, and the end result was hilarious speed followed by some angry engine components

92 SVX project/daily -112,000 miles (Sold)
91 Legacy Battlewagon -242,000 miles (RIP old girl)