Thread: Awd
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mhl0125
Thank you all for the quick replies. My 95 SVX is polo green and has 84K. I am a car novice. so when I look at the rear..isn't there always a differential there. I guess if it was FWD, there would be no drive shaft Correct? Can you clarify and tell me exactly what to look for under there and what it should look like.
I also have another question. There are two matching tires on the right side and two other brand matching tires on the left side. They are all quite new and I really don't want to buy a new set. Should I put a matching pair on the front and a matching set on the rear instead of side to side? Thanks everyone.
Oh my. If you find that the car is FWD (Yes, FWD has no differential in the back) then all is well. Just put like tires on the front, and the others on the back. But! I suspect that you really do have AWD ('95 FWD's are somewhat rare), so I would recommend selling the brand that you don't like and replacing them with the other. But! (Again!) If the set you intend to keep has high mileage (wear), you should probably replace all four.

The whole point is: with AWD, all the tires need to have like circumferences. With FWD, the fronts can be different from the rears (within reason). Kapish?

All of this relates to another important item. Rotate your tires (front to back) at regular intervals. I do, and have had no trouble with running gear (transmission, bearings, etc.) during the life of the car. As a bonus, I have almost 70K on my present set of tires with a lot of life left.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>