View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: Carfax report please for new member thinking of buying an SVX?

Carfax won't tell you if it has had the transmission replaced or not. Are you sure you got the VIN right? I tried looking it up on Subarunet and it came back invalid.

Things to check:

Transmission fluid should be bright red. If it's kind of a dingy red, you are probably ok but could stand to change it. If it's dark brown or black, it's probably never been changed, and you'd definitely need to have the dealer flush it, and possibly change the inline filter (It's supposed to be a lifetime filter, but if the fluid is nasty, I'd change it) Flush will be about $150 or so.

Back wheel bearings will make a whining sound starting about 45 MPH if they are going out. Cost is about $250 a side to have them changed at the dealership (Do not go aftermarket!)

108,000 is pretty good, so chances are if it's been taken care of, you won't have any problems (Ask if they have any maintenance records), mine has 160k on it and it had the original transmission in it, the only reason it went out is because an aftermarket shop put a new flexplate in it and damaged the hydraulic pump in the transmission during the replacement.

Take it for a test drive and make sure it shifts like it should, if the RPMs rev up while it shifts, it could be on it's way out. (If it flares between 1st and 2nd, it probably just needs the brake band adjusted) Someone please correct me on this if I have the gear wrong!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta