Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Help me trouble shoot bad am/fm reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
I need help trouble shooting bad am/fm reception
i have a pioneer after market radio ...
Quote:
i have the 18inch extention pluged from the back of headunit to the black female connector that runs to a plug that plugs into the antenna assembly.
Quote:
i am not in the small gray wire antenna that goes to the rear defroster that has a male plug
i have a male to male extention so i wont even go in that plug.
That is the wrong one. The factory antenna cable with the male Motorola plug is the one that goes to the SVX's motorized antenna. You need an 18" extension cable (female to male). Technically, your male to male cable is a gender changer.

See picture here.

Here's how I remember which antenna lead goes where: Imagine if the car's antenna cables could reach the rear of your aftermarket head unit. The correct one that you should use is the one that you could plug directly into the Motorola socket on the back of the HU (if it would reach).

Contrary to what I wrote in my SVX Audio guide (and need to fix), the second antenna (on the rear glass) is a separate section of foil -- it's not part of the rear defogger. You can get noise from the defogger (often caused by bad ground leads back there), but that's due to the proximity, not because the antenna is using the same foil.

After switching to the motorized antenna, if you still have poor reception, you may need to clean the mast and contacts. See this thread:
Does the mast antenna ever go bad? Reception problems.