View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Registered SVX
Temperature readings from gauges vs TCU?

Does anyone have transmission temperature gauge readings compared to numbers from the TCU?

I installed the Marshall gauge - very nice and controls the cooler fan too :-)

I drilled and tapped the drain plug ofr the sender - see photo. I know theres a bit mass and hysteresis involved here, but I drilled as large a hole as I safly could so that the sensor would be immersed in fluid even though it is sort of "inside" the plud....

When on the move the gauge reads app 25 F lower than the TCU. Measuring the pan surface temp with an infrader thermometer it is very close to the gauge reading (right after coming to a stop). The transmission case is quite a bit hotter - approximately the same as the TCU reads.

When idlling with heat soaked engine and tranny the gauge reads 10F lower than the TCU. The TCU is 186-188 F very constantly, the gauge 170F - I have the thermostatic bypass valve set at 180 F cooler line temperature.

I insulated the plug/sensor so that airflow would not cool it from the outside - have not taken it out after that.... chose a beer over another drive :-).

If any of you have any numbers it would be very interesting to compare notes :-)

Kind regards,

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sensor and plug.jpg (207.9 KB, 246 views)