View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
I went home this past weekend, (va - ny) 300 miles and began wondering what was the worse driving style. while going home i varied in speeds between 70 and 105 mph. Is going that fast worse than bumper to bumper traffic on the car? The more i drive my svx, the more i realize how much this car loves to be pushed, it almost seems to be in its element above 80!!
I may have missed the boat with my previous response. Seems you were asking whether or not wear & tear issues differ between driving at highway speeds or in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I assume by bumper-to-bumper you refer to constant stop-and-go. I've been in lots of bumper-to-bumper traffic that was moving at 60-80mph - scary! Constant up and down shifting of your transmission builds up heat that eventually can kill the unit. Brakes take a beating, and every rotating part of the car is stressed by sheer forces. To my way of thinking, a car with 50K open highway miles driven at or near the posted speed limit undergoes less wear than the same car at 20K miles of stop-and-go city driving. I know of no "conversion chart" for figuring such but this is my own estimation. So, what can you do? I'd opt for finding alternative routes that get you out of stop-and-go traffic. If that won't work, try adjusting your driving time to get an earlier or later start so that you avoid (or lessen) stop-and-go traffic. Better still, arrange to take public transportation and leave your car at home (or in a secure parking lot).
Preston