View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
I went home this past weekend, (va - ny) 300 miles and began wondering what was the worse driving style. while going home i varied in speeds between 70 and 105 mph. Is going that fast worse than bumper to bumper traffic on the car? The more i drive my svx, the more i realize how much this car loves to be pushed, it almost seems to be in its element above 80!!
The car is in its element but I question whether or not YOU are in your element at that speed. In heavy traffic, things happen very quickly and your time to respond is shortened by your speed. The higher your speed, the less likely you are to have time to think about your response, and if you make a mistake, high speed offers no second chances. Let me suggest that you limit your speed in traffic to that of the surrounding cars, unless there is an opening that allows you to put distance between yourself and others. It is always wise to maintain a cushion of distance between cars, even if you have to drive faster in order to obtain this position. Once there, maintain a speed that maintains the cushion position. Otherwise, save the need-for-speed of the SVX for the open road, or better still a closed course where traffic is limited. Best wishes.
Preston