View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 05:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: OT - '93 Legacy opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarber
One of my sons is graduating from high school, and needs a car. We looked at a '93 Legacy sedan today. 4-cylinder automatic, A/C. I don't know if it's a L-model or what, but the cloth interior has me suspecting so.

What worries me is the automatic. Does anyone know if it's the same 4EAT used in the SVX's, and if so, is the service record as poor in the Legacy? I'll tolerate that in the SVX, but not in a 'driver' for my kid..

Thanks,
--jim
The transmission in the Legacy is pretty much the same thing. The SVX's is beefed up a little to handle the additional torque, but as I understand it, it's pretty much the same thing.

But it's not the 4EAT which is troublesome - it's the application of the transmission in the SVX. It simply isn't cooled adequately. Since this isn't as much of a problem in the Legacy, they fail far less frequently.

My wife drives a 1990 Legacy wagon which was abused seriously by an unknown number of previous owners. The transmission is original and, while the 2-3 shift takes a little time in the cold, still works just fine after 136kmiles.

Check the transmission fluid. If it smells burned, then the transmission was subjected to high temperatures and may be damaged. Or it may not be.

Also pay attention to how the car shifts under all kinds of conditions. Under light throttle (and therefore low line pressure) is where you'll see problems if there are any.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE