View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: hmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
man that sounds bad...

ok bout ur AWD... look under back of ur car and see if u got diff for rear wheels... im sure u do, so car is 4x4
then could be nice to lift car up and free all 4 wheels and make sure they spin, then probably could be worth of try to hold rear wheels and see if front spin
by my understanding all 4 should spin simultaneously... if ur front wheels spin and rear ones dont then good guess can be that torque converter is screwed up and all power goes on front wheels
No offense, Sergi, but you really don't know what you're talking about and I fear for the person who takes 'ur' advice.

The torque converter has nothing to do with AWD functionality on the SVX, or any other AWD Subaru car. I would venture to guess that it has nothing to do with any manufacturer's AWD system.

The multi-plate transfer clutch (on US cars - yours is probably different, since I'd guess it's a JDM SVX) is what the transmission uses to apply power to the rear wheels. When it wears badly, or when there's an electrical fault preventing it from working correctly, then the car will act pretty much like a FWD model and spin the front tires in slippery conditions.

I don't think I'd ever recommend to somebody that they lift their car up off the ground, start it, put it in gear, and then grab a wheel. That just sounds extremely dangerous.

Samerooo, I think your multiplate transfer clutch is badly worn. My wife's '90 Legacy had the same problem. Even though it was an AWD car the front wheels would slip badly before the rears engaged with a -thud-. If you never feel that -thud-, then your transfer clutch is probably completely worn and you no longer have any power being applied to the rear wheels. The answer is either a new transfer clutch (about $900, if I remember) or a new transmission (considerably more).

As for your rough idle and stumbling, I have a question. Does your check engine light come on at all? I have an idea, but I need to know that first.

PS: Sergi, I recommend that you check out this link: http://tinyurl.com/m789. Read the article about 'how torque converters work' and you'll get a better idea of what a torque converter does. While you're there, 'how automatic transmissions work' is also good to read. The AWD in US cars differs in operation compared to yours, but the basic understanding of automatic transmissions and torque converters should help you some.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-06-2003 at 10:40 AM.