View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Re: What would you do with $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
A couple that I'm looking at seth are the pioneer avic-d1 with a 6.5" touch screen, the pioneer avh-p4100 with a 7" touch screen and the jensen vm9223 with a 7" touch screen. I want a dvd player so I can divert my attention while driving and cause horrible accidents (I've just always wanted one) and these are all fixed faces, IIRC. I'm not a huge name brand guy, but I've always had pioneer stuff and its been very reliable, if not as feature-laden as other brands.
DVD player would be pretty cool hope the stereo cover can still hide it (makes it safer from theives if they can't see it). Still would recommend the speakers the adapter plates for the rear speakers were pretty cheap but nothing you couldn't make (I didn't feel like it so I bought them). This allows the 6.5" rounds to go where the 6x9's go in back.

Just make sure to do some of the research ahead of time. Most of the indash DVD players have a lock out that you will have to bypass or make modifications to allow it to play a DVD when the car isn't in park. Most of this type stuff has been figured out though and can be found searching through forums. I too am not some audiophile I just have specific things I want a stereo to do. There was a single DIN I put in my legacy from Crutchfield it was the cheapest of all I looked at but it also was the ONLY one with everything I wanted in the head unit... bluetooth, HD radio, USB, Aux Input, CD, detachable face, etc. I am very pleased with that unit in that car.

Another thing I have found is that remote start systems can make a car radio act funny. Nothing that you can't power it off and back on for but for those doing a remote start it is something to keep in mind, (has something to do with the accessory power and battery power and remote start not moving the actual key to the start/run position).