View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
My '92 SVX has developed two problems.
#1) This is the most alarming. When I step on the brake pedal to slow the car down there is a severe pulsing (judder) in the pedal and steering wheel. The severity of the shaking increases the faster I'm going and/or when it is warmer. This just started last week.
#2) The 'check engine' light comes on and stays on when I start the car when the car is warmed up. It does not come on when the car is cold (first thing in morning). This has been happening for about 3 weeks. The is no blinking of the power light. and the engine runs perfectly smooth and quiet. I had the dealer service run The code reader but his code reader did not pick up anything (It wouldn't read - only said 'error').

I run the car only very sparingly. Thank the Lord that we have other cars.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
When the feel a reaction via the steering wheel, does the wheel pull in a single direction, i.e. left or right, or do you feel a random reaction? If it is directional you will no which side to suspect.

Can you recall any event prior to the fault developing which could be aligned with the problem? Physical impact, some other work done, whatever. You must heed the check engine light regardless of the dealer at this stage. It is strange that he did not also do a little simple physical checking.

The trouble code will be recorded and displayed by the LED on the the ABS control unit. On my JDM car this is under the right hand front seat and is accessed via a lift up panel in the carpet. Yours could be different. The available codes are quite comprehensive.

In view of the fact that a fault is registered, a component fault other than a grabbing brake can be suspected, particularly as you have drawn special importance to a pulsing pedal; e.g. wheel sensor, ABS unit including the often reported relay, as well as the power braking system.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!