View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
iwishicoulddunk

Exclamation Need Help Everyone Is Stumped

Ok, I am the owner of a 92 with 172k on her and she runs strong, i just had $2k worth of maintenance done. (the work done included timing belt, various gaskets in the engine, an exhaust leak fix, changing of all fluids, and a new rebuilt starter.) The only thing relevant to the problem is the starter. I get a hard clicking when i turn the key to start the car at various times, the engine could be sitting cold for hours, or i could have just shut it off 5min ago and try to start it again. I cannot predict when the hard click will happen. Upon turning the key fully into the start position all i hear is a hard clicking noise. The current starter in my vehicle is the 3rd starter in my car since i have owned it. The original starter went bad because i had to hit it with a wrench to get the car to start. Then then another starter was put in, and when i had the $2k worth of work done the 3rd starter was put in because the dealer just thought the starter was bad, they are idiots, i told them not to because the problem i am having is still occuring, so they refunded me the price of the part.
I just had another mechanic look at the car, and he is a very trusted mechanic. He checked the voltage readings at all points of suspected failure, which include the starter switch thing inside where the key goes. (realize I do not know what i am talking about sometimes so this may be confusing) He also replaced corroded battery cables and checked all volatage pointes on grounding wires from the engine and the starter. EVERYTHING checked out fine. He is completely stumped. The only thing he can think of is a bad starter, but what are the odds of 3 starters having this issue, please if anyone can help me that would be awesome. Thank you for reading this, if any more info is needed my aim screenname is iwishicoulddunk.