View Single Post
Old 02-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Anybody got next weeks lotto numbers?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

Is it smart or not so smart, should it be needed to buy a used evaporator? I've found a pretty sizable listing on the web.

That's a good question that I really can't answer from experience. Most cars never have an evap problem. Those that do are generally a clear pattern failure. GM cars prior to the late 80's, Chrysler LH cars and mini-vans are probably the all-time worst for evaps. What I'm getting at is if you find a fair amount of SVX owners that have replaced their evaporators I'd steer clear and buy a new one. The labor to replace the core is reasonable. There are apparently three different cores used (it figures) and the worst one to replace pays 1.8 hours. Add another .5 for the drier and then ++ for the evacuate and recharge. If you do install a used core I would suggest converting to R-134, it's definitely cheaper than R-12 and you won't cry so hard if the core pops/leaks. Downside to 134 is that in a given size of system it doesn't cool quite as well. Figure R-12 to have a 10 - 15 degree advantage on a typical steamy Orlando (armpit of the south, for heat) day.

I can comment on the absolute waste of money that is called a 'rebuilt' evaporator. They take a used core, pump a load of glue through it to hopefully seal whatever leak(s) exist and dump it on a consumer. The core probably won't leak, but it won't cool worth a flip either as the sealer also has the uncanny ability to insulate the core from the inside. Figure about the best it'll do while sitting in traffic on your way to the Columbian in Ybor City will be about 73 degrees - a good one will do 36 degrees.

You can always resort to 2-60 a/c, plus you have the pop-off pressure valve on the roof...

Beav