View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: 10 Days to an SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
9 Days :-)

I live in the high desert of socal, an unincorporated area of sbcounty known as Oak Hills. It's off the I-15 between LA and Vegas near Victorville.

I love the _idea_ of a manual conversion, but it's beyond me as a mechanic. I want to get this car back to what it *should* be and enjoy it.

I did some reading on here a few months ago and thought the whining might be the wheel bearing as well. If so, then I will either take it to a subaru dealer Suby Specialties in Monrovia. Anyone used them? I am thinking of taking the car to them pretty early on just to get a sense of what needs to be done.

Joel

Another SoCal SVXer? Good news. I've heard great things about Suby Specialties as well, but when I called to inquire about working on my car they laughed and said they won't touch an SVX if they can help it. They're also booked about 2 months in advance, so if you don't have a ton of money to pour into a WRX (like so many around here do), then they probably won't give you the time of day. There's another member here from Victorville, who I believe works at a shop, so he may be able to help you locally. Otherwise, good luck finding a mechanic. I've found that owning this car has gotten me more mechanical experience than all of my other cars combined. Use the search, and How-To section and you should be able to figure out just about any task on this car from the simple to the major medical.

And welcome to the site.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.