View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM

Re: 10 Days to an SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
Any suggestions on how to trace down the ABS problem? Is a whining transmission toast, or can I rescue it with new filters, some amsoil fluid and a quart or two of trans-x?

What should I plan on doing oil wise? What about filters? What's the biggest challenge in maintaining these? How often do you guys service the transmission (I do the Honda every 15,000 miles because they are notoriously fragile)?
There's a procedure for checking ABS codes; do a search. Be sure that whining isn't a failing wheel bearing. Forget about any sort of transmission rescue with fluids and filters.

I use ordinary motor oil and ordinary filters and ordinary transmission fluid, which is all anybody needs for normal driving. Change the tranny fluid and internal filter every 12-24,000 miles.

The biggest challenge is the same as with any old car: There's always something. I've logged 60,000+ miles with no breakdowns, relatively few problems and no big-ticket repairs, but plenty of others here haven't been so fortunate.

Good luck with it.

dcb