View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Looking into an SVX

Hey there guys, new here obviously. I'm looking at my first real car of my own. I've been driving around a 1995 Mazda 929 until now.

I live in MI so the AWD is kind of a benefit. It's either this or a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 5spd, and anything more than a foot or two of snow in the Fiero (even with snow tires) and I'm done. Still going to look into them both, but I wanted to see what advice you guys could give me. The SVX is being sold at a pretty decent price.

Anyway, the car is a 1992 SVX, I believe the color is Claret. It has 135,000 miles on it, and has a bit of front end damage (both fenders, the hood is a little bit dented up, gonna need new headlights/corners).

I know the wheel bearings and transmission are known to go bad. With 135k, I'm sure I have a bit to worry about. She also said something about the alternator, but that shouldn't be too big of problem for me.

What exactly am I looking for? How can I tell if the transmission is on it's last leg or if the wheel bearings are about to kick the bucket? Are there any other things that I really need to pay special attention to? I don't feel like buying into a complete wreck. I appreciate any of your help.

edit: Uploaded the pics from the ad. Not the best, but I guess it'll do. The fender damage and hood damage is pretty evident, but repairable. I don't mind buying the car cheap and putting some money into it to make it look good as long as it's in good running condition.

Last edited by louie; 09-15-2008 at 09:28 PM.