View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Christmas Dash Lights, but no Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockleaf View Post
I've run the normal set of dc tests with the christmas tree lights on and off both. The results were close enough to be considered the same. It does seem a little high, but not seriously high on my DC. The voltage showing is between 14.7 and 15.0 with loads on and off both.

Trevor, when I run an AC test, I am simply looking for any AC reading correct? I'm not incredibly electrical savvy so please correct me if I should be looking for something else.

I do have frayed lines on my pigtail, so I ought to replace it anyways. After I do the AC test I will report my findings. I also intend to go ahead and bench test the thing to see what I get from that. Thanks for the help guys even if half of it is in greek.
From my earlier thread:-
If you wish to check for AC. Switch your meter accordingly and look for any level of AC. The meter should not record DC as this is blocked by the internal rectifier. Please report your findings on the basis of considerable interest.

Start with your meter on an AC range of around 20 volts full scale and step scales down from there. You are looking for any level of AC which may register.

It could be a half wave component with only a single diode shorted through, but you will have no way of reliably confirming this. If the meter flicks up and down over a couple of digits, this could provide a clue, depending on whether the meter is or is not, input smoothed.

There is several possibilities in all this. Some other factor could have caused the fuse link to open. Because of the rather poor way the alternator control/sensing circuit is arranged by the factory, a rebounding spike from an inductive load,at the opening of the link, could have upset the voltage regulation, so that the output went very high for an instant.

By rights the voltage sensing conductor should connect directly to the positive bus, hence the battery, via a low rated fuse. Whereas this wiring has been combined with other circuits and is not independent and separately protected at a low level, as it should be.

N.B. A further possibility is that the sensing circuit became intermittently faulty, leaving the regulator to fly free. Check the plug connection and light wiring for any sign of a problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!