View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX

Power mode will reduce your mileage though, and i don't think i want my car shifting at 6500rpm every time. To each his own though.
Jay, power mode will make no difference to your mileage, or possibly make it 1 mpg worse, that's all.

And on top of this what you are saying about shifting at 6500 rpm is absolutely inaccurate. True, if you bury your foot to the carpet, it will do this. But it would do the same on the power-on-demand system you currently have.

In everyday use it holds the lower gears a little longer in fulltime power mode, and will change down more easily and quickly for an overtake. Without going to wide open throttle.

The nearest analogy I could offer would be that fulltime power mode is a similar system as Sport mode on a BMW gearbox. If you have ever driven one of those, it would feel similar.

The only way you can experience the power shift map in US and UK cars is to drive at WOT and keep the foot planted. Naturally this sort of behaviour would affect your mileage.

With the power shift map switched on in the gearbox, you don't have to drive like this, you can drive as sedate as you like. The gearbox will allow higher revs in each gear, and the car will feel more responsive.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 12-10-2007 at 01:18 PM.