Thread: buying an SVX
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Pottsy, welcome to the club.

You've clearly done a bit of research and you are right, the gearbox and the rear wheel bearings are the main weaknesses.

My understanding of the gearbox problem is that the cooler becomes blocked up and then the tranmission overheats. If the transmission gets fixed, but the cooler is still blocked, then the new transmission is going to end up the same way.

I would expect that the cars which have been fitted with additional coolers and filters are less likely to suffer the problem again. Particularly if the fluid is changed regularly. I see no reason why a transmission should not last 66k or more after these modifications.

As for the wheel bearings, everybody says they're a problem, but I've only had one done in 4 years, so it's not a huge problem. I had a Vauxhall previously which needing doing every year. There has been a suggestion that the failures may be due to some garages using incorrect grease.

Don't be put off by all the stories on this site about things going wrong. Apart from the gearbox, the SVX is IME as reliable as any other car of the same age and complexity.

Phil.