View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: pinion gear replacement

Alright, I might miss a couple things,
basically, to get the front carrier case off,
Remove all 14mm bolts/nuts that connect the case to the pump
remove the 14mm bolt from the side plate if it is still holding the transmission lines on
carefully (using a rubber mallet preferably) hammer the front diff forward to break it free and remove it from the rest of the trans assembly

Now, for the extension housing
remove all 12mm bolts holding ext housing onto rest of trans assembly,
remove 10mm bolt holding VSS1 and remove VSS1
carefully remove the ext housing, either using a rubber mallet on the driveshaft "shield" or on other spots to try and get it to break free. Then it should come off fairly easily once the seal is broken.
-Take note, you will have to carefully unclip the small 2 wire harness for the C solenoid and also take note of how the Parking prawl and spring are held in place.
Remove the transfer clutch pack assembly and tailshaft along with the ext housing.

The pinion shaft gear is held on the front of the oil pump by four, 14mm bolts, remove those
-can be done with hand tools, but an impact will make this much easier
Now, on the rear of the trans, it is held on by a 36mm Stake nut. This, without a doubt, you will need an impact for.
Once that is off, make sure you pull any washers off the end of the shaft so they don't end up inside the trans, and you're done with disassembly.

Reassembly with new parts is pretty much the opposite.
I meant to take pics the last time I tore into a trans but didn't have a camera with.
Hope this helps, more than likely I forgot something, so please feel free to correct. I've just done this so many times that I may be forgetting something.