View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
Nick, I'll admit that I don't know much about the process, so while I might have heard someone say backflush somewhere, I really don't know if the shop plans to back or forward flush, nor do I really understand why that might make a difference. So, might you guys just recommend changing the fluid, without back or forward flushing? Or should I just leave well enough alone?
Steve, there are flushing machines that hook up to the cooler lines. As the tranny pumps old fluid to the cooler, the machine takes that fluid and pumps the same volume of fresh fluid back to the tranny.

As far as I'm concerned, this shouldn't hurt anything or place any more strain on the tranny than normal operation. You're just replacing dirty (or burned) fluid with new fluid, much the same way the tranny replaces its own hot fluid with (supposedly) cooler fluid.

But, and this is a big one, there have been a slightly worrying number of tranny failures right after a flush. My theory is that these trannies were on their way out anyway and owners thought they'd try a flush as a band-aid.

My 133k mile tranny failed a week after its flush, but that was after the flush made it work again by clearing a blockage somewhere. My tranny was an example of one that was on its way out anyway - the flush did not harm my car, I am covinced.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE