View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Porter

Ok, two things... with a piggyback (i.e. Unichip) or standalone (i.e. MoTeC, Haltec, Electromotive) ECU, a whole raft of options are opened up with regard to redline, soft rev limit, and high energy direct coil systems in the case of the standalone units.

The stock valvetrain is spec'd to well over 7k rpm, I see no problem with running it out to that. Our overseas members, please chime in and let us know where your stock redline is and when fuel cut kicks in, I believe it is slightly higher than the US version. Regardless, my target would be something closer to 8.5k rpm.

Personally, considering the goals, I would start by upgrading the valvetrain with lightweight valves and stronger springs. It really depends on whether you were going to build it up all at once or in stages. If I was building it in stages I would start with exhaust, and removal of the stock air box intake. Next the EGR system would come off, and while I had it apart I'd have the heads blueprinted, ported, and polished. The intake manifold would also be ported and polished to match. Personally at this stage I'd also have the car stripped and the chassis seam welded, but that's just my preference. I would probably also lighten the body and install a full roll cage tying the front and rear strut towers together. After the prep work is done, engine management and upgraded fuel delivery is in order. A parallel fuel rail would be a necessity, along with larger injectors and a baffled fuel cell. Upgraded ignition controls would be included with the ECU if going the proper route, i.e. a standalone system like the Electromotive TEC-III.

So: build the heads and valvetrain, port and polish everything, free up the intake and exhaust tracts, ensure controlled fuel and spark delivery, and take control of the system with a proper standalone engine management system. The tuning is worth probably a third of the total gain by itself once the other pieces are in place, i.e. well over 30hp... higher than that in the right system.

It's probably a $7-10k project start to finish.

Last edited by Porter; 10-08-2003 at 06:08 AM.