View Single Post
Old 08-13-2002, 06:33 PM

nvrmore100

From your description of trouble I'm sorry I gave you their website address - maybe I just had blind luck.

As to R12 or R134. If the system was changed to R134, they SHOULD have changed fittings (each type of refrigerant is suppsed to have a unique fitting) AND they SHOULD have put a label under the hood so stating - maybe on the rail with the black label that came from the factory - in front of the radiator. Look around, although by Federal regulation it is supposed to be placed prominently.

As to special parts, there are retro-fit kits. I think all new driers are compatible with both R12 and R134, as are the compressors. The hoses don't need replacement (as they used to think) because the mineral oil/R12 is believed over time to have sufficiently penetrated to have sealed the hoses/seals to 134. The issue was that old style hoses/seals had molecules far enough apart that 134, being molecularly smaller, would leak. The only issue I know of is possibly one with the oil in the system - and I'm not a pro, at best a talented parts changer - so I don't want to steer you wrong - but I don't think 134 is not compatible with the mineral oil used in R12 & I don't know how that gets "fixed". If yours is still on R12, and still has all its freon (no leaks, just worn compressor) your shop should pull it all out, then simply put it back for no net $$ in freon charges.