Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Lack of power

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbir2001
My SVX is being troublesome of late. I have just had it serviced in
the hopes that replacing the plugs etc. would cure the lack of power problem that I have been experiencing, but it hasn't. Symptoms are that it is difficult to start, often requiring a couple of pumps on the throttle before it will fire, then when it's cold it does not rev freely, but runs lumpily and has little or no power. When it does warm up, it appears to run reasonably smoothly, but still lacks power occasionally. When power does arrive, it comes in a big burst, and make the car difficult to drive. No 'check engine' lights. There are frequently clouds of white 'smoke' coming out of the exhaust.
Blackbird,

SVX not flying for you?

Couple of things you should look at. :

With the SVX, the plugs are long-life, and are rarely at fault. When you changed plugs recently, did you keep a note of the colour of each plug from each cylinder? This would tell you if one cylinder was problematic.

Assuming you didn't, and you still have rough running, there are a number of possible causes. Most likely for the SVX, one [or more] of your coils on top of the plugs have failed, or is failing intermittently. To check this, when it is cold and running rough, you disconnect each in turn, carefully. If you unplug a good one, the engine running will get worse. If you disconnect one that is not making spark, there will be no change, that's the one you are looking for. Replace this one, should be problem solved.

Another possibility, you may need to use carb or choke cleaner on the intake butterflies, they can get gunged up.

Also, you could have a bad or dirty slow running jet, situated below the inlet manifold. If you are technical enough to take this off and clean it [recent info in the Technical Forum] don't unscrew the valve or change any factory presets other than cleaning, otherwise you are in deep s**t.

You should also look to make sure your plastic and rubber inlet box is properly fitted over the two butterfly flanges. This can get folded up underneath due to careless fitment, and will allow in air which will upset the tuning.

My best guess is you have a bad coil.

Best of luck with it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl