View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Tranny Slipping or the Snow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Amazonparrot
Hello all, before I start may I issue the disclaimer: I have done as much searching for this topic as time may allow, and have found nothing useful at all.

Ok then, now to the problemo. So we just got about an inch of snow on the ground, and as usual I have been out and about trodging around in it (gotta love AWD). So as i go up hills, the rpms flare up, as though the wheels were spinning and not getting any grip in the snow, which is a perfect possibility. So finally I get very close to home, where there is a small hill, that i am forced to stop in the middle of. I open the door and hang my head out to watch the tires. When I give the car gas and look at them, there is nothing happening with the wheels. Plenty of gas, and engine activity, no wheel movement, slipping, nothing! So i turn the car off, let it 'chill' for a few minutes and then manage to limp the last mile home at like 5 mph in the snow. I tested it again this morning, to the same result. I also checked the tranny fluid, and it looks completely nice and red, although it smells funky, but not burnt. I get this lack of movement in 1st, second (force it into manual mode) and reverse. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?? I really need to find out quickly what kind of problem im looking at. Thanks so much for your help in advance! -Andrew Robb
Hi Andrew, as it does it in D, 1st, 2nd and R, it looks like it may be a lack of line pressure. I woud check for a code first, to rule out the A solenoid, throttle position sensor.

As it happends in 1st position of D, the low/reverse brake is not active, to rule it out. The cooler is not the cause as the oil flow through it is constant, and plays no part in line pressure.

I would suspect it is a lack of line pressure as too any things are affected. I think the fault could be caused by the screen filter in the pan may be blocked.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.