View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Driving

I'm always up for a nice drive for the most part.

I was up in Kittery last weekend and the driving can be very nice along the coast as long as you stay away from the actual Route 1.

I'll be out of town this next week so I won't be of much help in planing..for that matter I can't be sure I'll make it back in time for me to attend. Dang! I'd really love to help put together a plan for next weekend (especially as it's so close), it's just that I don't have the necessary time right now.

Here's my 2 cents on a great beach in the rural area North of Kittery.

Off exit 2 or 3 in Kittery you will be dumped off in the shopping district (the "Outlets"). The best part is the northern end of all that shopping crap at the Yummies Candy store. It's on the corner of Rt 1 and Haley Road. The place is small, but there is so much candy there you will die. Before you get there be sure to stop at Bob's Clam shack for good fried food.

The drive down Haley road is twisty and great fun. At the end hang a right and head down Pepperrell Road. (On the left I see there is Fort McClary State Park according to Mapquest..I've never been there...) Down a bit more north on Pepperrell Road and you take the next right down Chauncey Creek Road. Follow that to Seapoint Road and stay right onto Cutts Island.

What I'm leading you all to is a great beach at the end of all this. I've been to this beach several times over the years. It's very secluded and seems like its private but it's not. The sand is granite gray and very fine. The locals take their dogs here to walk them and play in the surf.

There is parking for perhaps 15 cars if the place is empty, which it may not be...but I'm not sure it matters just for a quick view. The road nearly dead ends here anyway.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my limited local knowledge. The drive is very scenic and the beach is very nice. I don't have a clue where to go after that though.

Those back roads along the coast are very rural and curvy. Parking is a problem though as there is little in the way of open spaces along the coast.

Kittery is about 20 minutes north of Hampton. Both places can get crazy busy on the weekends. I don't know what to recommend out there for a crazy group of SVXrs. I wish I could help more in the planning.

Good luck and I hope to see you there next weekend.....