View Single Post
Old 10-12-2001, 01:33 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Matt,

Things have changed a little since. It's still easy, but the car needs to be approved by the RIV, or have mods done to comply by Canadian standard.

But other than that, it's leave the ownership at US customs for 3 days, pay your duty, do your mods, get it inspected, and get the provincial registration. That's it.

Bought my SVX from Binghamton, NY last year, had to do the song and dance.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
Hi Ryan,

Just in case you ever need to move back to Canada, I can tell you that it's real easy to bring a US spec car into Canada. Well, it was easy about 12 years ago and in Ontario. My friend in Toronto bought a car from his uncle in New York. To register it, someone from the government came down to verify the odometer reading. He then paid duty on the car and he was done. He drove around with the gages in miles and MPH and there was no problem getting plates. Remember that his was over a decade ago and not in Alberta, but you might want to check to see if it's as simple a process as my friend went through.

When I came to the US, I just sold my car and bought a new one from a US dealer.

Cheers,
Matt