Thread: scraping noise?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I had the same slight, rhythmic scraping noise when I made left turns. I also had the Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors and the Akebono Pro-ACT ceramic pads.

I took off the wheels and checked to see if the brake shield was bent, but it looked good. I could not see any place it was touching. My calipers were fine and the parking brake shoes were not rubbing. Car braking was fine and except for that slight annoying sound when turning, I had no complaints

So I took the car to my favorite SVX Master Tech at my dealer. If anyone could find it, he could. He took it for a test drive, came back to the shop and knew what the problem was.

It was a shield problem, but it was not bent. He showed me that the brake shields were not one piece of metal, but were made up of multiple plys. Age, moisture, etc. cause these to either swell, separate or warp. He also found a slightly raised are on the back of the Raceconcepts rotors, at the inner edge of the disk itself. He showed me the burnished marks on the back of the rotor AND the small area where the warped dust shield was rubbing. This raised edge contacted the warped brake shield at one point, about 1.5" in length, producing that sound.

He used a ball peen hammer and reformed the dust shield to give it the clearance from the rotor it originally had. He also ground down the raised lip on the inner edge of the back of the rotor. Reassembled everything. Noise completely gone!

If you pull off the back rotors, you should see the rub marks on the shield and/or the rotor. This is a fairly easy fix.

Thanks ill check that out
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.