View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
private

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

While I absolutely agree with Chris (that moderation of this site should remain private whenever possible) I'm going to stand with Doug on this one.
private? as in how a moderator reached out to rob asking for his modified 9005 bulbs(that rob was going to give to him for the price of the bulbs), only to get his address and then continue on to post his persenal adress inside the moderator forum not once but TWO TIMES, saying do what you will with it. Where is that mans warning, or banning? oh thats right,some of the other moderators merely cracked jokes at it, saying that a phone number would be better. That is my big problem with this whole situation. the group is select, and new members rarely stick around anymore, their posts dont even recieve replies(beyond the initial "hello and welcome" post.

not that this post isnt apt for deletion as soon as it's up. Being able to delete your own mistakes is handy as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Do you really believe this Phil? Let the world run rampant and eventually things will sort themselves out? Mob justice? Every man for himself?

Chaos has been not been the issue, but the general tone and feeling of the board has been shifting away from what was a pleasant discussion group (with a single moderator) from years past to a board where multiple moderators are now needed and members are being banned for their actions. Rules were not needed in the past as members reminded others that this was a "family-friendly" board and please watch their language, links, etc. That atmosphere is gone. We, the mods, were in the past working behind the scenes and deleting threads, editing posts, asking members to discontinue certain actions. This resulted in people questioning our actions and making demands that they had no right to make. The rules posted at the top of each forum were put in place to clearly define what is acceptable here and what is not. Stay within them and we have order. Fall outside of them, and you now know what your own fate is. These rules will probably change over time as new situations arise, but we are now enforcing them.

I have no strong belief in being PC, however we would like to keep members from attacking members, avoid flame wars, not discuss illegal activities (of any kind), and keep the language and topics acceptable for all ages and backgrounds to discuss. Remember that the group is very diverse in age, socio-political background, religious beliefs, and economic status. Many people log in from their place of work and therefore NWS (not work safe) stuff will be deleted so as not to have one members post restrict or deny access to this board to another. There are plenty of anything-goes discussion boards out there on the web. If chaos is what you desire, have at 'em.

There have been many members driven away from the board by un-moderated actions like those described above. When was the last time you saw Trevor here for instance? While his tone was sometimes difficult to discern from his messages, his real-life experiences were extensive and wide-ranging and he was very approachable if treated with respect and common courtesy (like any of us would appreciate). Like your friend Rob, he despised BS and could logically debate others claims. He is now gone from this board; a loss to all of us in my opinion.

Our goal is to keep the peace, deal with the occasional out-of-bounds post/poster, and generally keep this place a decent place to ask questions, meet friends, and hang-out. I've personally had the pleasure of meeting many members at the meets I've attended (10th Anniversary, and two Reading meets). I've had members to my house and have been so lucky as to have been invited to drive a RHD SVX while in Ireland and then spend time with Joe and his family. I wish more people here would take the time to actually meet (face-to-face) the other members here.

I'm sorry for the long post. I realize meny here will not read this. Their decision. The moderators as a group truly enjoy spending time here. We have no desire for a "police state" regardless of how Chris and Alan feel. We are passionate about the car and the friends we've made here and we will take actions to keep those friends here and active within the group.

Regards and Happy Belated Birthday,
Todd
Todd i dont believe that is how the world should work. I ment its how this board worked, and why people are rebelling. But it dosnt work that way anymore, you are right. And im very sad it dosnt. I too have met many SVX members as well, i see them all the time. In fact, i feel such an attachement to this community that when i swapped out to my 5spd i GAVE AWAY all the parts to people who either contacted me or i saw posted that they needed a solenoid etc. Their is very little left to my 4eat at all.
I do however feel that the actions that are behind closed doors and "moderation" are against everything this board use to stand for. Since when did this group become select? After being friends with rob my welcome wore out here, never having one of the moderators ever meet me(or him), and kidding around and being nice to me long before he ever showed up. I defended a friend, something that ALL of you would have done. weather you thought that person was 100% right or 100% wrong you would defend your friend. If that leaves me out of a community, then so be it.

But with all due respect, that moderator who posted robs information has lost all respect and from his immature temperement, should have no say in anything to do with moderating others. Dont tell me you cant agree me with on that todd.
sincerly
Phillip Gantz, SVX owner since 16(and for life)