View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: A specific question about the old "dipstick popping out" issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
My thought was that vibration was the reason that the dipstick moved out. With the o-ring being replaced, the dipstick may not be able to vibrate out, and pressure may not be increased at all. Just a thought.
Yeah, that's my hope but I am concerned that the PCV may be causing it and I was just wondering what damage that could cause. I got a good answer to that. It sounds like you think the PCV is not what causes the dipstick to pop out and it is always the o-ring plus vibration. If that is true, I would be happy to hear that. The o-ring I can replace. The PCV involves issues that I am not sure I trust myself to deal with. I depend on this car daily so I don't want to mess it up to the point where I can't drive it for several days. If I had time to go nice and slow I may feel good about something on the level of the PCV and maybe even taking the intake manifold off to get a better look at the AACV. But my next few weekends will be taken up with putting up xmas lights and coaching basketball. It would be great to just take care of the o-ring and keep an eye on the bouncy idle to see where that goes.

My son informed me today that he would like to modify cars. Looks like I may need to keep an eye out for a project. I probably should have jumped at that 1997 SVX in PA last week.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything