View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Re: Any WRX/STi owners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
I've been promising myself one of these two since I was a wee lad in high school when you could only get the 2.5RS and, now I'm getting close to getting one (pending the reveal of the 2015 redesign in November). As I think more about it I have to wonder if getting the STi is worth the extra ~$10k. In all honestly, I will rarely, if ever drive the car on a track (nearest one is in pretty sad shape) so I can't say the added performance of the STi will ever be used to its potential but the 14 year-old in me keeps saying I neeeeed it.

Anyone with a WRX wish they had gotten the STi? Anyone with an STi have been happy with the WRX instead?
I've had Liberty's, WRX's, STI's, Forester's and Outback's... the lot... oh and the SVX.

I think, the STI is an awesome weekend / fun car for a bit of spice. There is enough extra bits over the WRX plus the "brand" is more than enough. Could flog this car for a long time and it would just laugh at you and eat it all up. Very easy to untap the beast with some minor mods and a tactrix cable. Would be good for someone who uses public transport to get to work and then wants fun on the weekends. The proper STI 6MT's are devine and I'm not sure but if you can get it, grab a plated rear diff... 100 times more fun than the rubbish torsion units!

The WRX is a nice daily driver, heaps of fun and lots of power. Easy to untap with tactrix cable but at the end of the day, it's not an STI and sooo many owners wish they'd got the STI - so if you can afford it and you're considering it get the STI - even one a couple of years old! Of course if you've got no interest in the STI, then the WRX is a no brainer.

A couple of years ago I had to get something for long distance, comfort, daily driven and would be able to tow an STI RA racecar and a boat.

I choose a MY11 Forester S Edition. Basically it's a Forester chassis, with the WRX engine / turbo and a STI style flappy paddle 5EAT gearbox with sporty suspension and I can easily turn the boost up with the tactrix cable. Being a Forester it's high off the ground, extremely quick, lazy around town, can tow almost double the STI / WRX and is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. The best of all the Subaru worlds IMO haha.

So it depends on what you want. I reckon my next car will be a BRZ... a mate of mine has one and what a wicked fun car. Extremely well balanced and a heap of fun and I can see why they're so popular as they're simply a really fun car.