View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Front diff failure/4.44 sanity check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
Everytime I think I have no more questions it turns out I do.

So, when looking for user 4.44 donor parts, how big of an issue is mileage? Obviously lower is better, but these Outback donors are getting older everyday, and low mileage examples are getting hard to come by.

My specific point: I found an Outback here locally where the timing belt/tensioner went bad and ruined the engine. Owner is parting it out, and is willing to give the trans and rear diff (which he swears had no issues) for a little over $300. I balked when I heard the mileage though - just over 200k. Should I reconsider this or keep looking for lower mileage offerings?
Well, that high of mileage I would stay away from. Luckily here in the midwest, there were plenty of subarus so there are a lot of 4.44 geared 4EATs around. I can find quite a few with under 80k miles for around $500 for the trans and rear diff. I would try to stick to under 125k and if possible, under 100k. Just my opinion.

I can't remember if it was said in this thread yet, but if it's from a running car that you can get the transmission, check the fluid or even check out how the car drives if possible. If it is a junkyard transmission, more than likely fluids have been drained. However, usually they don't bother cleaning off the magnet in the pan which can tell you just how much wear has been done. Another nice thing is that around where I am, almost all the junkyards and picknpulls offer 90 day warranties on any mechanical parts. It's a bit of an assurance and if you're doing the labor yourself, there is only extra time spent/lost...