View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: To new or prospective SVX owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
A while back I looked at the lease payments for the new Legacy GT (closest comparable car). $550 a month to drive Subaru's flagship model. If you spend $6600/year on an SVX it'll be all new in no time. I use that logic to justify my expenses to my girlfriend and it makes this car seem pretty thrifty.

The asking price for my car was $6500 and I talked them down to $3200 based on the repairs I said were needed to make it "like new" and I still overpaid. I've now spent about half that sum over a year to repair/upgrade my car and it's getting close to where she needs to be. It's still cheap, it just depends on your perspective.

My car's sneaking up on 200k miles quickly, but I figure a trans replacement/upgrade is on the horizon, and an engine rebuild may be in the cards as well. Once that's all done, I can justify the bodywork she needs and I can't imagine anything that'd send this car to retirement. Treated right these cars will last forever, and do it for less money than the modern equivalent (as if there is such a thing). You've just got to keep up with your "payments".
Even with my repairs the overall cost of owning a new vehicle is greater then the svx ever could be.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles