View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
update

Well, I made some progress today so it's time for an update for y'all.

As you may recall, the engine miss was preceded by a "tick" sound that I thought was coming from one or two of the spark plug coils. I was able to confirm this and began by replacing the igniter first then the coils on the driver side (#2, #4, #6).

I started by warming up the engine this morning and waited until the missing started. Then swapped the igniter and the missing still continued.

Next, I proceeded with testing the coil primary and secondary circuit per the FSM. Interesting thing is that the three coils on the driver side checked out OK but I bet one or two of them acted up when hot. Due to the PITA factor of accessing the coils, I replaced all three on that side of the engine. Started up the engine and waited for a miss and nothing, nada. At this point, things were looking up and I went for a drive.

Upon returning home, there was a miss and my "tick" sound is back. This time I tracked it to the #2 spark plug coil, on the passenger side of the engine. So, tomorrow, I'll swap it out and see what happens.

In summary, the missing sound is just about 95% gone but I'm still not satisfied until it's ALL gone! On another note, I was able to make sure that the cruise control pump/valve checked out while the battery was out and I had all that room.

Later.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E