View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: K & N air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Take any given number of grams of dirt, remove the amount that the oil filter would remove, and divide it by the number of oil changes that your properly maintained car would have before its air filter was restricted to over double its resistance as new? Not much.
I think the point is that the dirt makes it into your intake, past the valves, down to the pistons, past the rings and cylinder wall, and then chugs around in your pan while mixing in with the oil where it is again passed up to your crank bearings, etc until it would finally make it to your oil filter to be removed.

All the while possibly damaging anything in it's path.
The question is - are the size of the particles passed large enough to do damage with the clearances in our engines?

To me it's irrelevant. I simply don't want to put that much extra dirt into my engine when I plan on keeping my cars for hundreds of thousands of miles.

A while ago I calculated the cfm at peak torque for our 08 tribeca to determine if the stock paper filter was starving it. It was not. It flowed more than enough. With 0.3 L less displacement and the larger filter that the svx has, I feel confident that a paper filter in our airbox also flows more than enough air. This makes the performance claim of K&N simply not true in a stock svx.

So - more dirt and no more performance. What is the point of the K&N? Oh yeah, it lasts a million miles.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 02-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.