View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Ice's fully-baked turbo build

I have commissioned a set of 9:1 compression ratio pistons from CP, and they got here yesterday:

Nice box:

And inside that box, another, even nicer box:

Six tiny boxes for the rings:

For future reference:

Hello, shiny!

They weight, like, nothing.

The rings, they are round.

I've had a set of 6 STi take-off rods for a while now (only cost $100 from rallispec):

I had a hard time finding a set of 6 Eagle rods that have been used before and I didn't want to pay for two sets, and I figure 4 stock STi rods are good for like 400hp, 6 should be more than overkill for my purposes.

I also have had a set of cometic gaskets for a while, as well as plenty of 370cc injectors (like 11 of them), a Z32/N62 MAF, and LAN's stage 2 aggressive chip (not installed). I also have a set of cams, that are in-car, that I'm still undecided on whether to put in the built motor. I figure if the cam profile is suited to the project, I'll use them, but if not, I've got another car that they can go into, so they still won't go to waste.

The engine will go in for machine work and assembly as soon as I have time to take it over there.

I have thought for a long time that the SVX really needed a sizable power bump. A supercharger is appealing, but I'd rather do a turbo. Just seems right for a Japanese car, and I really liked my brother's short-lived SR20 turbo project. I'll be more or less following in Phast's footsteps, but with a built motor.

I've been looking at compressor maps a lot, and a GT30 sized turbo seems just about right. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...30/GT3071R.htm

The turbo will be purchased new once I make a final decision and find one for the right price. Any thoughts from those more experienced are more than welcome.

Discuss!
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album