View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Harv,

I'm not using the Road & Track Guide as "Gospel" - if you look over my initial post, you'll see I center my conclusion around the results of my field research using Tom's Subaru Select Monitor. As far as I know, no one has ever done testing on the torque split of the USDM SVX using a Subaru Select Monitor before...

How about looking at this problem in a different light. Do you know of anyone in OZ land who can loan you a SSM that'll be compatible with your VTD SVX? If so, I'll be interested in knowing the torque split values it'll show for your trans. If it accurately reads the preset 33.3%/66.7%, then I'm sure a similar licensed SSM is accurately reading the torque split on the 3 USDM SVXs we've tested (Svxfiles's, Green_eyed_lady & SVXRide).

BTW, I know you're not saying the torque split is 90/10 - as you keep mentioning that it's always changing (I have re-affirmed this as well in the findings I posted). However, you HAVE mentioned in previous threads that when cruising on a highway at a relatively constant speed, the torque split would be very close to this value (95/5-90/10). My point of contention, is that not once during my testing with the SSM did I ever see the torque split registering anything close to this value. Even at a standstill in 'D', it showed 60/40...

-Chike
Well you don't need a Select Monitor to read the duty cycle that is sent from the TCU, any good digital multi meter can read duty cycle %, do it, I use a Fluke mod 19.
Doing the same to the VTD won't give the same results. It will only, show the % signal sent to the Limited Slip Clutch. The torque is divided by the gears in the diff, to the ratio of 36.4 F/ 63.6 R (not 33.3/66.7), the TCU does not control this split.
The LSC is set to the driving conditions, to prevent wheel spin. So like your model, it will be applied "standing still in D", because it is ready for the start, when wheel spin is most likely. Just that, in the Euro, it is the rear wheels that spin first, due to them getting the most torque.
I reckon if you cruised at about 80 MPH in D on a light throttle, you would see a lower signal. Not that it matters, as soon as you hit the pedal the signal would go up.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.