View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Chike, I think this is a great thread with very good information and I am glad to see someone take interest in "exploring" the SVX and it's working.

That is all I wanted to say and then I got thinking about this and driving around without a 90/10 split on the highway is really bad for mileage. Has anyone discussed the fact that the line pressure feeds the transfer solenoid? Perhaps maybe someday someone could correlate the line pressure and duty cycle from the transfer solenoid "C" with the actual pressure in the transfer housing. As I remember the EAT hydraulic line pressure varies with the throttle position. The line pressure which varies with the throttle setting then goes to the transfer solenoid "C" which regulates the hydraulic pressure going to the transfer clutch plates.

So if the line pressure resistor by the battery is pulled or if a vacuum switch kit (small car) is installed, the line pressure is maximum at all throttle settings. Then 100% line pressure is fed to the transfer solenoid all the time. In this case the duty cycle numbers you read would be regulating the maximum pressure all the time and the duty cycle numbers would be equated to the torque split front/rear.

When the line pressure is allowed to vary with the TPS setting, a lower line pressure is present with light throttle and maximum line pressure is available when the pedal is on the floor. This is totally independent of the transfer duty solenoid. A lower line pressure fed to the transfer solenoid that is wide open allows the low line pressure to enter the transfer clutch.

The higher the pressure is to the transfer clutches the closer the SVX is to 50/50 and the faster the transfer clutches or something else wears out due to the forced slipping of the clutch plates when cornering.
Gidáy John, don't think the select monitor knows the final pressure, yes it only knows the signal sent to the solenoid. The actual pressure on the plates, varies with the line pressure, that is set by the A solenoid.

To put it easy, the C solenoid does not vary line pressure. It varies a regulated pilot pressure, that moves a spool valve, that applies line pressure to the clutch plates. As John says the resultant torque split depends on the line pressure, that the TCU can not read.

So as John says. the only sure way to tell the clutch pressure affecting the torque split, is by monitoring the actual pressure applied to the clutch plates.
The plot thickens.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.