View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee55987 View Post
Just thinking about it again. If the front diff is shot, i must have spun off gear inside correct? Then shouldnt mytranny make some kind of grinding noises when put into gear. The trans doesnt make any bad noises...If you still believe thats the problem, do you know where i can get a front diff..?
When so much power is put to the front wheels with them spinning, once the wheels grab, there is too much power for the differential to handle and it sheers off the gear in the differential. That is the horrible sound you were hearing at first and after trying to drive it more probably sheered the rest of the teeth off and also why it won't move with the FWD fuse in. With the FWD fuse out, the sensor in the differential is reading that the front differential is slipping and that is why it kicks in the rear and will then move.

Find someone who might have a blown SVX transmission as the differential may be good is a possibility. A better option since it actually involves less work, just a little more money for the parts, is get a 4.11 or 4.44 auto transmission AND rear differential out of another Subaru(91-97 and some 98's). These have shown to be more reliable than the 3.54 gear ratio in the SVX automatic. Highway cruising will be at higher rpm's but it is not bad for these engines.

If you decide to swap in an auto from another suby, replacing the transmission is straight forward-drop out the old one and install the new(to you) transmission. For the rear differential you need to swap out the LSD from the SVX rear differential into the donor rear diff.

On the other hand, if you decide to just change the front differential, you must first drop out the SVX transmission, separate the front differential from the transmission and replace the ring and pinion gear, put it back together and reinstall.

I guess both end up being about the same amount of work.