View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I agree with you 100% that the direction that our country is heading in is saddening/ scary. Being 19 (almost 20 ) though does give me one expert opinion that everyone has to believe me and take me seriously on. Being in college today I am surrounded by our country's future. I know that every generation supposedly has it's bad apples, but I look at the kids around me as the ones who I will be sharing and leading this amazing country with and I'm terrified with the ignorance, lack of caring, stupidity (different from ignorance), and just general unpreparedness for the role they are supposed to assume upon graduation. Sometimes war is necessary, as the saying goes, "If you want peace prepare for war". I know that my grandfather's generation rose to the occasion for WWII (both of my grandfathers were at Pearl Harbor), but I really don't know if my generation if pushed hard by a foreign power would rise and fight like my grandfathers did. I think that a lot of this has a lot to do with public education. Public education today is abominable, utterly abominable (at least where I live). I can go into why it's so bad, but that would throw the thread off topic (don't worry it's not the democrat's fault ). The other factor is the unappreciation that pervades our youth. They have no idea what it's like to live anywhere else on earth. They don't understand that those anti-government stickers on their car could get them put in jail/ killed in a lot of other countries. WITH NO TRIAL!!! Oh, and notice that I said, "stickers on the CAR". In how many other countries would high school age kids be driving themselves to school?
The freedoms that we as Americans enjoy here have become so common to us that we have begun to take them for granted. And when that happens only awful things will follow.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5