View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
The most important part of those headers is present, you can always weld extensions. If the price is right, i will order a couple for my car.
Not only that, but the design of the Outback Motorsports primaries is smoother flowing than the stock exhaust manifolds (just looking at the design w/o knowing the ID of the pipes).

If you look at the design of the factory manifold on the right, the back two primaries first move towards the front before taking a bend and flowing towards the back of the manifold (where the header pipes are hooked up).

Stebro was supposed to have developed some shorty headers several years ago, and only 1 set was supposed to have been made as the product never saw production. They claimed they saw a 10hp gain from those headers over the factory pieces.

I've visited some of my old Ford forums (from when I was an SVT Ligthning owner) and this was what one member (who happens to be a vendor)on mustangforums.com had to say on the shorty vs equal length headers debate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods
I don't mean to be a jerk or anything but your question negates it's self in that you want to know what is best but do not want to use what is best. Long tube headers are best because the sweet spot for scavenging Is 28-36" from the port (depending on mainly rpm range and primary tube size) and shorty headers do not get that distance before the collector. The x-pipe will help to reduce some of the lossed scavenging though.

As far as what is best in shorty headers goes it's debateable between equal vs. non in that the equal length headers will give you a narrower peak torque curve but will reduce top end torque a bit due to all the extra bends where the unequal shorties will provide for a wider torque curve but lower peak torque than equal length. this is of course short of the obvious issues of heat and accesability to the spark plugs which are both worse with the equal length headers.

In drag racing with shorties equal length is usually the best choice but the rest of the engine and car need to be tuned for a narrow torque band and short shifts.

I would choose long tubes myself but if a customer wanted shorty headers I would go with hedman or hooker.
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_26055..._1/key_/tm.htm

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)