View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: New Car and New Garage

Todd:

What mods did you have Tom make? I assume 5 speed. I know you alreayd had Koni's and Ground Control. I think you will find the SVX a really fun track toy. I hopoe you avoid the overheating problem.

A few words of wisdom:

trailbraking - carefully done, helps the car rotate. On most turns, you should be braking as you head into the apex, instead of accelerating. That also helps you get front end bite and better turn in. That also helps you carry more speed into the corner without excessive understeer.

Full accelerator as you begin to let the car run out after the apex. Full power on with a lot of steering cranked in just gives you a lot of understeer.. In some really tight corners, I come in trail braking, let up on the brakes, then crank the wheel hard over to get my turning done, then full accelerator as I loosen my grip on the wheel and let it straighten out naturally.

At first, I had a tendency to get on the accelerator too early. I woulfd be on full power well before the apex. That was before I really internalized the friction circle. If you are turning and accelerating fully, you will be in a 4 wheel drift, but, it will be unstable. Sometimes the rear end will begin to come around and there is nothing you can do about it, except countersteer, assuming you have room on the pavement. If you've already tracked out pretty far, you may be cutting some grass.

The better line is to carry more speed into the corner, gently braking into the apex, then get down hard on the accelerator at a point where you canbegin to let it track out. Once you get that down, it flies. From this, you can see that the car likes a very late apex. Get your turning done early, under trail-braking, then your acceleration run out of the corner will be straighter. Believe it or not, your exit speed will be higher, because you carried more speed into the corner and had less scrub coming out.

The rain is wonderful. All of a sudden, you are the fastest car on the track.

I haven't been on the track in 4 months, I guess you can tell. It's a real hunger.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold