View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I've never driven one, or in fact even sat in one, but God willing, I'll be buying one late-sept.
I've been in love (spelled L-U-S-T) with them since they were introduced. Back then, I owned a pristine '86 XT GL. Being the follow-on to the XT I kept up with the spyshots et-al in the magazines. Then came the Road & Track guide...I was HOOKED!
I told myself that someday I'd own one. Looks like that someday may be soon!

Make sure you get a good one. Preferably a low miler with a fanatical owner.

If it is on eBay and looks unloved, walk away. Don't kid yourself that you can turn it into a beauty with a respray. Possibly you can, but if it was not loved and serviced, lots of other expensive jobs will be lining up, needing to be done.

Last bit of advice, try and buy a car from an older person or from a family who are fastidious about servicing. Be wary of buying cars from students. No offense meant if you are one, but we get them here all the time "How am I going to get the money for a new MAF/knock sensor/....[insert any essential piece of kit that can break or wear out..]??"

If you try to run one without proper servicing and ignoring CE stuff that need attention, it will bleed you.

Best of luck with the search. They are worth it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl