View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Re: Coolant question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seehecksdeeh View Post
svxpert:

kwren:
If it's the radiator cap, does that mean something is wrong with it? I don't know how to differentiate those things. If it helps any, the new radiator didn't come with a cap, so I just used the OEM one that was on my old radiator. Could it be a compatibility issue? Maybe Are there symptoms as I go that could possibly point more to one situation than the other? A new cap isn't that expensive to try

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
The radiator cap is made to keep the coolant in the radiator. When the coolant temperature increases the coolant expands and builds up pressure. The cap is made to keep pressure in the cooling system but regulate the amount of pressure. As excessive pressure builds, the excessive pressure allows coolant to "escape" through the small hose to the coolant reservoir. When the engine is turned off, the coolant begins to cool the coolant retracts and the one way valve in the cap allows the contracting coolant to "suck" the coolant out of the reservoir and back into the radiator. A defective radiator cap could deffer this necessary action from happening.

If there is a problem with a seeping head gasket could allow the system to malfunction and not "suck" the excess coolant out of the reservoir because there would not be a negative pressure. The seeping from the defective head gasket could prevent the return of the coolant, thereby putting more coolant in the reservoir when the engine is run again and consequently overflowing the reservoir. Some of this excess coolant would end up under the battery.
This overflow was corrected on my car with a new radiator cap.
A head gasket problem is a bit more serious... $2,000.00+ if you have to have a dealer do it.

Still keeping fingers crossed...
Keith