View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Actually, Trevor, I was more confused by the statement, "If the VTD clutch does not work, we just have a open center diff that will spin one set of wheels or the other."

So all right, I'm back to my original understanding that there is a fixed mechanical ratio between the front and rear for VTD-4WD. But then what I don't understand is the functioning of the actual clutch mechanism. If the ratio front:rear is mechanical, then where does a clutch fit into that system, and how does it allow for more torque to be transferred to the front differential?
Nomake,

Put simply, the clutch limits the slip of the differential in a controlled manner, rather than in an uncontrolled manner, as with the usual form of limited slip differential.

P.S. A normal unrestrained differential will distribute torque in a variable fashion left/right, depending on load. The transfer system also does so front/rear, and the uncontrolled the transfer ratio, is governed by the inbuilt uneven differential ratio.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-07-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: P.S.